Saturday, November 21, 2015

Someone’s Father Someone’s Son – A Woman’s Journey by Thea Fietje

From birth, Thea’s journey through life has never been dull. Having left home at sixteen to escape the chaos that represented her family life, she was determined not to repeat their pattern. Yet, the three relationships she formed were with men either with abusive tendencies or with unresolved issues that doomed any hope she had of a happy life.

Like many women in abusive relationships, she believed that by the power of her love she could transform the man. Since then she’s realised that irresponsible and troubled men cannot get rescued and that they often resent the rescuer for making them feel even weaker.

Having been in those situations herself, she knows that there are a myriad of reasons why women don’t leave their abusive partners. Through extensive research she also learned that regardless of race, creed or status, domestic violence isn’t just a problem of the uneducated, poor and unassertive.

Looking for a solution, she found thousands of books on the subject, the majority written by psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers; few by the victims themselves.

It is Thea’s belief that the ultimate solution is for women to share their stories of abuse and recovery to help others in those situations. And it is with the idea that her own experiences may help others that Thea has written her book, ‘Someone’s Father Someone’s Son – A Woman’s Journey’.

In her own words, she explains how she began to change her life, by changing her own response to it.

I had held my partners responsible for most of the failure in the relationship. But as I continued on my journey of self-discovery I became more aware of the role that I too had played. I also realized that holding onto resentment and blame were negative emotions and so I practised sending love to those, dead and alive, who had hurt me. Forgiveness is a wonderful healer and in time the wounds from my past began to heal. It took much longer though to come to the realization that each partner came into my life to move me into the next phase of my spiritual growth. They were all my teachers; just as my children are − each one to some degree a reflection of myself.’

This book, based on Thea’s three significant partners led her to write her story in which she encourages other women, in similar circumstances to release themselves from the role of victim.

In her opinion, the mistakes we make don’t define us − it’s what we learn from them that does.
Coming soon to Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment